Sunday, August 27, 2006

Keith Moon

August 23 was Keith Moon's birthday. For those who don't know who he was, he was the drummer for The Who...probably the best drummer ever...well in my opinion anyway. No one is like The Who nor will anyone ever be like them. I don' t think a single band has ever sounded like them. I absolutely love their music. I prefer them to Led Zeppelin which a lot of people frown upon but it's a personal choice. I've always liked their music better. Led Zeppelin is alright. I won't go out of my way to listen to them but if they happen to come on the radio I might listen to them but it depends on the song. But The Who is awesome. I don't think there is a single song by them that I don't like. The entire band is great though even if I'm partial to Keith Moon's drums. Pete Townshend is one of the best guitarists and Roger Daltry is a great story teller. I like their energy. Well there are only 2 members of the original band left. Keith Moon died almost 28 years ago and John Entwhistle died 4 years ago. They're coming to town in September for the Virgin Festival. I would love to go to that but I know it's going to be a mess. There are going to be some huge acts there and so many people. They're holding it at Pimlico and it's the festival is the only one being held in the country. There is one in Canada but there are going to be people from all over roaming around there. It's going to be bigger than the Preakness which is the main even there at Pimlico.

There is a lot of good music out there it's just a matter of finding it. There are musical elitists out there that are quick to put down anyone that listens to a certain type of music or a specific band or person. I read about it a lot on message boards and stuff like that. They complain that music has no meaning. But that's nothing new. Music for a lot of people is an escape. They like a certain song because of the beat not necessarily the words. For years there has been music that doesn't have a certain meaning or message. It's just fun. Where has the fun gone? All people seem to want is a deep seeded meaning to a song. Sure there are tons of songs out there that are like that and I like them but then again there are songs out there that just are. Sometimes you just want to dance or sing along to it. You know just have fun. I love deep introspective music just as much as anyone but who doesn't want to just nod their heads, dance silly, and sing? Take it at face value and enjoy. You know what else I like? I like songs that have a message and you don't even realize it til you sit down and actually listen to the lyrics. Take "Like A Stone" by Audioslave. That song has a really deep religious meaning. But when you hear it and your just singing along you don't realize it. That whole album though deals with religion. I like music that has a message and doesn't necessarily preach to you. They aren't forcing it down your throat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home