Friday, August 11, 2006

Stripped Down


Music is something that is near and dear to my heart. I like almost anything with the exception of most country and I can't stand bluegrass. Well I was listening to some music today when I got the idea (well it's not an original idea) to list some of the songs that I absolutely love that are stripped down, so to speak...you know not over produced; just some good old instruments and vocals. Anyway here's my list in no particular order:

1.) "Old Man" Neil Young: I don't know why I love this song so much. I just do. It's a very short song but I like the story behind it.

2.) "Everlong" The Foo Fighters: Now there are two versions of this song. One is acoustic and one isn't. I like the acoustic one the best personally.

3.) "Volcano" Damien Rice: There is just a cello, a guitar, and vocals. No frills at all. I love it.

4.) "Your Song" Elton John: Probably my favorite song by him although there are so many. I like the imagery in this song. When you hear this song you get the feeling he's singing just to you. Well that's what I feel anyway.

5.) "Redemption Song" Bob Marley & the Wailers: It's Bob Marley...what's not to love?

6.) "So Far Away" Carole King: It's kinda sad but I love it anyway. Anything she sings is great but this one is fantastic.

7.) "Broken" Jack Johnson: I love his vibe and this song is so pretty.

8.) "Fire and Rain" James Taylor: A little on the melancholy side but that's classic James Taylor.

9.) "Me and Bobby McGee" Janis Joplin: One of my all-time favorite singers. She had a lot of heart and really put everything into singing her songs.

10.) "Waiting for my Ruca" Sublime: It's basically a drum and Brad Nowell singing. The lyrics aren't introspective or outstanding but I like it just the same.

*There were a couple of songs that I didn't think about so I figured I'd add them even if it is a couple days later. Lily actually reminded me of one which was "Tears In Heaven" by Eric Clapton. The other one was "Hurt" by Johnny Cash.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lily said...

Those are all really great songs. I love most of Eric Clapton's songs too. Also I agree with you and Mander about Janis Joplin.

8:50 PM  
Blogger Kyleen said...

Oh I can't believe I forgot Eric Clapton...I love him too.

3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home