Monday, July 24, 2006

Israeli-Lebanon Conflict

Ok so for about two weeks the world has watched as the Middle East has once again erupted into violence. This time an organization that the U.S. and Israel consider a terrorist organization, Hezbollah, started by invading Israel and kidnapping Israeli soldiers in order to garner the release of some of it's compatriots. This lead Israel to retaliate. And the fighting is escalating. There is an interesting article in Time Magazine explaining what the situation is over in Israel and Lebanon and why this time it's different. You can read the article by clicking here but I would however pick up the actual magazine. There is a map there showing what areas of Israel and Lebanon have been hit as well as a chart outlining some of the key players of this conflict. It's definitely worth the couple bucks to read or if you have time, you can flip through while hanging out at the local bookstore. I know when I go in there, there are a ton of people on the benches or in arm chairs reading away. I like that you can do that. I was waiting for the employees to say something and you know start kicking people out of there for doing that without buying the book or magazine but they seem unfazed by it. Wikipedia has a timeline of events and they even break it up between the two: Hezbollah and the IDF.

Anyway there's a lot going on over there and I have to say that any kind of military intervention at least on our part would be unwise. Now I'm not saying that based on principle. I'm saying that because the U.S. military is stretched too thin as it is. You have countless soldiers still sitting in Iraq with no end to that in sight and you have soldiers still in Afghanistan searching for the ever elusive Osama Bin Laden. Considering everything that is going on in North Korea, you can bet they beefed up support over there. The Armed Forces are always over there waiting and watching. I know at least the Navy and Army are...Frankie was stationed there for a couple of years and he would have to do training exercises with the Navy and Marines from time to time. Granted since there are a lot of soldiers in the region, I guess they could shuffle some around but something tells me they aren't going to do that. Actually I don't know if it's a good idea to get involved to begin with...at least not unilaterally. I think that the U.N. is going to be forced to intervene however and whether that works or not...well that will remain to be seen. I don't think it's going to work. Yeah there could be a cease fire but how long will that last?

The problem isn't going to be solved by just sitting around hoping the other side gives in. Communication is key...how many times have you heard that? By talking and compromise, peace can be attained. You know how marriage counselors constantly preach communication and compromise? I think that should be applied to the world at large. You can solve problems by communication even if you don't agree 100%. Violence doesn't get anyone anywhere. It's a real shame. You can agree to disagree but don't let it escalate to a point where harm comes to people, mainly innocent people. I know it's been an ongoing problem in the region...I just don't think a lot has been done to focus on the real problem here. It's a tricky situation and I might be naive but I think that if people looked over their petty differences, real progress could be made and maybe just maybe in a 100 years or so, there won't be any war especially in the Middle East.

Yeah call it being idealistic but I can't help it. I have faith that the world could potentially come to an understanding and war could be prevented. It's going to be a rough journey but we could be on our way. Sure we have to deal with terrorist organizations like Al Qaeda to over come but it can be done. There is no quick fix to the problem...it's going to take time and energy to get there but it can be achieved.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home