Monday, July 17, 2006

A Learning Day

I didn't do much of anything yesterday. I just sort of hung out at home but I needed a day like that. I watched "Failure to Launch"; I don't think it was that great. There were a couple funny parts but I think it's like "How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days" but reversed...I don't know if that made sense but to me it did. Anyway I was wishing the day would move by a little quicker because on the Discovery Channel they were showing a program about Global Warming. They were saying that politics weren't involved and I have to say they weren't. But the message was the same. Global Warning is real no doubt in my mind. They talked about the polar bears (They were too cute. They tranqualized a mama bear and her 3 cubs) they were just taking dna from them and weighing them and all that. I wanted to bring them home. I felt so bad for them. They also touched on the glaciers and how fast they were melting, how far the oceans have risen. They went to this one place and I can't for the life of me remember what the name was but it was in the South Pacific. They showed a village there and the ocean was literally in their homes at high tide. It was crazy! Another point they brought up was that if deforestation keeps up especially in the Amazon, we are really going to be in a lot of trouble. They said weather patterns are changing which is causing drought in some areas and floods in others. Because of that bug population are going to grow causing more insect diseases like malaria and West Nile. If it's on again I'll have to watch it to see if I missed anything. It was definitely interesting.

After that they had something on about the 2004 tsunami. There was actual first hand video on it...very disturbing. You could see it coming from where some of the people were on the balcony. It was just a white line of crashing water. It was insane. And all they could do was yell "Run" but most of the tourists there couldn't get away fast enough. They explained that after the first wave, people went down to the beach to see what happened and then the second one came and many couldn't escape the second one either. It was really really sad. I know the news showed a lot of video and still but this was different. Something interesting I learned was that a tell-tale sign that a tsunami may be coming is when the tide goes way way out. I mean there were boats that were beached when tide disappeared right before the tsunami hit. Most of the people had never seen anything like it. It was so weird. Then I read this morning about another tsunami but not nearly as bad as the one that hit almost every country in the Pacific.

It must have been natural disaster day or something on the Discovery Channel because earlier in the day they were talking about how there is this bay in Alaska that had a weird trim line. The trim line was so well define from old forest and new forest. They couldn't figure out what could have made such a dramatic impact and it couldn't have been a tsunami because it was way too high. So they took some samples from the trees and looked to see about when there could have been something that really hurt them. It was fairly recent but they couldn't find out why. That is until about 3 years later and this time they had witnesses. This guy and his son were out fishing on the bay when they heard some rumbling. It was pretty far off and they couldn't see anything until a wall of water some 500 ft high hit their boat. Luckily they were washed out to see and both survived. What they found was that 90 tons of rock fell at an alarming speed and hit the water causing a mega-tsunami. They said that it's been happening for years it's just that nothing too drastic has happened however it will come again soon. The one they're worried about is in the Canary Islands and it will impact the East Coast of the U.S. New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington, Miami, any town on the water will be inundated with water. It's a crazy thought but it's going to happen. It's just a matter of when. I found an article about it so anyone who might want to learn about it can read it here.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lance said...

They always seem to be showing something really interesting on the Discovery Channel. I have to rush by that channel if I'm in a hurry because if I pause to see what's on it I know I'll end up spending more time than I have watching it lol.

Which reminds me, I'm not doing anything right now; I think I'll go watch awhile before I go to bed...

9:24 PM  
Blogger Kyleen said...

The Discovery Channel is great. The History Channel had something about that mega-tsunami that is going to hit the East Coast sometime. They just don't know when. As soon as Cumbre Vieja erupts, it'll start and hit the east coast. Scary thought but interesting nonetheless.

6:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home