Monday, August 21, 2006

A Movie Night.

Well....of course there isn't really anything new. But I did do a couple things this weekend. I mean I didn't doing anything super fun but I still did some stuff. On Friday I decided to sit down and watch the movies that I've had out for over a month. First up was "Saving Private Ryan". I was tired of people staring at me with their mouths gaping when they found that I've never seen it. I guess since I plan on becoming a history teacher and all that, they felt it was my duty as a future teacher/historian to watch that movie. Truth be told...I just never really thought about it. I knew what it was about I just didn't have it high on my movie priority list. Well I watched it and it was a fantastic movie. I don't think I could watch it again though. I can handle violence, blood, and gore in a movie but usually it's fiction and while perhaps the story of Private Ryan was fiction, the landing on Omaha beach wasn't. It was, for me, like looking at someones death. I know it's not real but it did happen. I've seen war movies before but none that quite affected me like this one did. I cried through oh probably 75% of the movie. I don't know how they dealt with that sort of pressure and seeing some of the things they did. It was just terrible. But a good movie.

The other movie I watched was "Paradise Now" which was just a great movie. I would own it. It's about 2 suicide bombers from the West Bank. Now I know people might not get why any one would want to see that sort of movie but I'm just saying it kinda makes you think. I know when I hear about suicide bombings I wonder "What in life could have happened to these people to make them want to not only kill themselves, but kill other innocent people?" Well I have to say that after watching this movie you can sort of see how they are driven to it. Some of them feel like they have no other choice and remarkably there are some that wind up not doing it at all. If you can stand watching a movie with subtitles...I'm telling you you should watch it at least once.

And finally I watched "Mystery Men". I've seen bits and pieces of it before but never the whole thing at once. It was hilarious. I loved Hank Azaria as the Blue Raja and of course Ben Stiller and Janeane Garafolo don't disappoint. It was good though. And it definitely lightened the mood after watching the previous two movies.

On Saturday I met up with Jenn. We hung out for a little while and then we headed to WalMart. I don't shop at WalMart and I have my reasons for that...I just don't want to get into that right now..this post is long enough as it is. Anyway she wanted to get a new bed-in-a-bag and let me just say they had some absolutely hideous things there. I love picking out the ugliest clothes, sheets, whatever. It's just a fun thing for me. I'm a people watcher too and sometimes it gets out of hand and I wind up laughing too loud embarassing the people I'm with. I don't know why I do it. I know it sounds immature but good Lord is it fun. Yesterday I stayed home as usual. Ali and Paul stopped by on the way home from Ocean City which was nice because it feels like I hadn't seen them in forever. They wanted to drop in and see how mom was doing since she left rehab and all. Ali and I are planning on hanging out in DC sometime soon. I want to go to the museum of Natural History and some other places and she likes going. I hate going places like that by myself. I was planning on going to see Talledega Nights but she wants to go with me so next time she's in the neighborhood that's what we're going to do.

Ok I've taken up enough space for the time being. I could probably write another couple pages but I'll save that for a day when I don't have anything else to write about.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kyleen said...

Yeah it's good fun. I like it anyway. There was this one lady at WalMart that I swear could have been Peggy Bundy. I just thought to myself "Who let you out of the house like that?" but hey it's her life not mine..it just made me giggle a lot. I think that's why I don't work with the public that much anymore. At least not face to face. I have a terrible habit of busting out laughing in people's faces at inappropriate times. Can't help it...It's one of my MANY flaws :)

6:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home