Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Pictures from the Rally

Finally I got around to posting the pictures I took from the rally against genocide. It took place in Washington, D.C. on April 30, 2006. I was so surprise at the amount of people that showed up. Just goes to show you that not all people are apathetic and some actually do care about what's going on not only here but in other countries too. (I had to make the photos smaller so sorry about that.) Here are just a few; at some point I'll put the other ones up as well. They aren't that great though :)




This is the stage where the speakers and performers were. There was this singer there (I have no idea who she was) and she sang that awful song from the 70's, I don't know the name of it but here's a sample lyric: "loving you is easy 'cause your beautiful" and then there is an ear piercing wail that follows it. It was probably the only low point of the rally for me. I couldn't stop laughing.



The rally was on the National Mall in front of the Capitol building. The tent right behind the big screen is where the speakers waited til it was there turn to speak. Paul Rusesabagina was the highlight of the speakers for me. I didn't get to hear Barak Obama. Someday I hope I get to though. At one point a child got separated from her mother and was taken into the tent to wait for her. They made an announcement and the fellow that made the announcement said something about the kid talking with George Clooney and that the mother should report to the tent immediately. Then he said in the next breath "Only the mother of the child. I see about 12 ladies out there who were about to make a dash for the tent". I thought it was funny. He was just joking around of course.



I found this sign funny. I don't know why...I just did. I really liked it. Holocaust survivors were among the speakers. Many Jewish delegations there because the subject hit close to home for them. It was good that they were there; I think it was good that the Sudanese had people there that could truly identify with them.



This is a Sudanese man who was speaking to some of the people in the crowd. My sister's head is slightly in the way...Sorry about that. Anyway there were quite a few of them circulating through the crowd. What I thought was odd, not in a bad way, was that they were thanking us for being there. I felt we should be apologizing to them for not doing anything about it sooner.



Throughout the rally groups Sudanese survivors would march up toward the front chanting "No More Genocide!" and clapping. This is one of my 2 favorite pictures.



And finally this is my other favorite picture. This kid wanted a better view of some of the speakers. Smart kid. What I found amazing was the diversity of the people that attended. There were people there of all races, creeds, and ages. It really seemed to bring people together. It wasn't an issue of Democrat or Republican but an issue of human rights. These people have suffered for too long. There should be no such thing as genocide...not today and not ever again. My hope for the future is that people will learn to get along and realize that killing is never the answer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home