Thursday, April 27, 2006

Crisis in Sudan

Once again I'm going to post about the crisis in the Sudan. Here's a refresher: In the Darfur region of the Sudan genocide has been taking place for sometime now. It doesn't appear that anyone is helping and ther seems to be no end to the horrors that are taking place there. I know that we are facing a lot of hardship in our lives but it's a life and death matter in Darfur. Over 400,000 people have died already and countless atrocities are still taking place including rape. With all of our attention focused on Iraq and New Orleans, I think what is happening in Darfur has been pushed to the side. It something that everyone should be concerned about. Just look at what happened in Rwanda years ago....do we want that to happen again? If the answer is no then we need to do something. I don't know what to do but I'm willing to hear what people have to say. Now on Sunday there is going to be a rally in D.C. There are also other rallies taking place through out the U.S. to help bring what is going on to people. People need to know whats going on and we need to do something to stop it. Something has to be done...there are people dying physically and emotionally every second. (I know I sound preachy and I don't mean to...it just upsets me beyond belief that I don't see anything being done. I get physically upset about the situation. I can't help but cry for these people and I can't imagine what is going on in their heads. How they go on knowing that they could be raped or murdered or tortured any minute. I wish there was a way I could go in and take all those people away with me so that they wouldn't have to suffer like this anymore) To find out more about the crisis in Darfur go to www.savedarfur.org . Ok, gonna step off my soap box now. Sorry

2 Comments:

Blogger Lance said...

I know you're only being polite, but you needn't say "sorry" for bringing people's attention to such important matters.

Personally, I am amazed that the UN isn't doing anything about this situation.

Perhaps America is overstretched with problems locally and abroad to commit to resolving the situation.

But why the UN isn't doing a single thing to ask countries to commit some resources - if we all pitched it, we could all help - I have no idea.

Other than that this is just another classic example of how completely and utterly useless the UN is for any real, practical purpose.

1:20 PM  
Blogger Kyleen said...

Yeah they should definitely do something about it. The UN could do a lot to help people but now all they seem to want to do is ignore those who need their help. Genocide is perhaps one of the most heinous crimes ever committed and the fact that they aren't doing enough to help these people makes me want to vomit. At the rally on Sunday Paul Rusasabagina is going to be there. I'm looking forward to hearing him talk since he knows first hand what genocide looks and feels like. Maybe by listening to him people will pressure the UN to get involved. Thats my hope anyway

11:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home