Thursday, May 11, 2006

Places I Want To Go

I couldn't think of anything else to write and I've been thinking about the different places I want to visit at some point in my life. So I decided to post about those places and why I want to go there. There are so many things out there in the world it's hard to pick just a handful of destinations to go. I like the work destination...because when I say it or read it I think "destiny" like I was always meant to go there. Ok so on to the places I want to go and they're in no particular order.

1.) The Mediterranean: Going to Greece has been a life-long dream of mine. I want to go to Athens to see the Parthenon and walk through the winding streets like people have been doing for thousands of years. I want to go to Santorini to see the black beaches. Rhodes is supposed to be gorgeous and so it Crete. I'd like to spend about 2 months there. I think it would take about that long to see all there is to see. Italy sounds interesting and beautiful as does Spain. I want to see some of the churches there. I have a thing for churches. They are so pretty it really kind of grounds you...well thats what happens with me. It makes me feel so small yet so big at the same time.

2.) Turkey: Turkey is technically in the Mediterranean but I thought it needed a little special attention. I know a lot of people don't want to go there but I think Turkey has a lot to offer. Troy for one was there and you can see the ruins if you like. Well they think they've found the ruins but they still aren't 100% sure it's Troy. Istanbul will definitely be interesting to see. That city has been so many things to so many people. It has such a rich history that it would be impossible to pass up going there. The old Byzantine churches that were turned into Mosques sound beautiful.

3.)All of Latin America: There is so much history down there all through out Central and South America. Peru has Machu Picchu....I'd have to see that. I don't know about getting up there. It doesn't sound safe but I still want to go up there. Brazil has the Amazon, Argentina the Patagonia, Cuba for seeing old Havana...everything down there sounds beautiful. I know there is a lot of political unrest but it wouldn't stop me from seeing the place

4.) South Africa: I just want to see it. I hear good things about it but there is just something about South Africa that makes me want to go there. I think it would be a good learning experience. I want to see how people grow up there....one of my heroes was born there so I want to see where he comes from.

5.) Romania: I've been reading a lot about their culture and it's just fascinating. I remember someone told me years ago, a teacher, about traditional Romanian dress. Remember the Pied Piper of Hamlin? Well the story of course goes that he lead all the children away to some unknown place. They say that traditional Romanian dress is similar to what the Pied Piper wore and therefore passed it on to the children. Place names are also similar. Anyway there are a lot of theories about the Pied Piper but thats neither here nor there. Of course the Dracula legend was born there so that's another draw. They also have a large population of Gypsies there. I've been fascinated by Gypsies since I was a little girl. I don't know why I just have been. I know it's a little odd.

So there are just my top 5...I know it's kind of a cop out because I grouped a bunch of countries together by region but I didn't want to write them all out. I wrote enough as it is...maybe too much. There are scores of other places that I want to go. There are only two places in Asia that I really want to go to and that's Japan and Thailand. The rest I think I could live without. Actually the Asian countries are on the bottom of my list. I just was never interested in them. Well that's all for now...gotta get going.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lance said...

That's a very interesting list.

Most lists like this would start with Europe. It's interesting you didn't mention London, Paris or Rome. They are the "Big Three" tourists attractions, I would imagine.

All of the places you mentioned, though, would be awesome to see and I hope you get to see them all.

Of the ones you mentioned I'd most like to travel around the Mediterranean rim. There's so much history in that area of the world it'd be overwhelming to get to see and visit and explore.

12:15 PM  
Blogger Kyleen said...

I'm planning on going to Greece next summer. I just hope I save up enough money and nothing falls through. I'd be going with my cousin and her baby daddy's family which doesn't exactly appeal to me but it's a once in a lifetime opportunity. I was supposed to go there when I was 13 but I didn't get the chance. Plans fell through. It would be fantastic though. I can't wait. My sister and I were planning on going to Italy this summer but we both didn't have the money so another time we'll go.

5:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home