Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Steve Irwin


Yesterday morning I was off since it was Labor Day. I heard the sounds coming from my computer telling me that I was being IM'd. I just figured it was my sister or Maggie and that I would get to it later. Later on when I was fully awake I checked them out. It was from Maggie telling me the Crocodile Hunter died. I figured it was a joke since I was always hearing that he was dead. A couple years back my dad swore up and down that he was killed by a crocodile...of course it wasn't true then but this time around it appears to be true. Like most people I was shocked and saddened by his passing.

He may have been a little out there but he got the point across. Kids loved him and adults did too whether they admit it or not. He was perhaps a little too in your face for some people but I liked that he got out there and tried to educate people on conservation. There aren't a lot of people out there that had that passion like he did. I think that's what set him apart from the others. He was so in love with nature and animals...he didn't care that they could hurt or kill him. There were lots of people out there that said that he was going to die doing his job and that turned out to be true. When I think about it though I'm sure that was probably the way he wanted to go...teaching people about animals. I'm not saying that he had a death wish and I know that his kids meant the world to him. That's who I feel sorry for the most. The kids. His kids were such an integral part of his life and at least his daughter shared his enthusiasm for wildlife. Not just his kids either. There are so many kids that looked up to him and are so upset that he's gone. It's so sad. I wouldn't begin to know how to explain the death of someone so beloved to my children.

I still can't get over the fact that he's gone. I wasn't a huge fan of his show but from time to time I would catch it and it would make me laugh. I liked his accent...and he was so over the top sometimes. You couldn't help but smile when he was on. Discovery Channel and Animal Planet are planning to air his shows as a tribute. Animal Planet is airing a tribute tonight at 6:00p.m.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lily said...

I used to watch his show with my nephew all the time he used to love him, there are a lot of people that are very upset about this, like you said he had a way of making everyone laugh and get into his show whether they wanted to admit it or not.

5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home