Friday, September 01, 2006

Ouch....Aghhh!

I suck when it comes to putting any type of furniture together. I don't know why I just do. This one time it took me nearly an hour to put together a night stand...A Night Stand, People! It should have taken me a half hour tops. Oh well no big deal. I've come to the conclusion that anything you have to put together never goes nearly as easy as it's supposed to be.

So yesterday I was at work per usual. I knew that Pam was going to be ordering this organizer for all the newsletters so that it would look nicer in my cubical...really it does look bad the way it is. Anyway the organizer came in yesterday. I didn't know what it looked like but it was super heavy. I started taking the parts out of the box and organizing them. At first when you look at them there only seem to be 4 types of pieces. There aren't. There are 5 because one of the shelves is supposed to be different. I think they put the wrong part in the box or something. I looked at the "World's Easiest Instructions" (literally that's what it said on the top of the paper). The instructions weren't too difficult but I wouldn't go so far as to call them the "World's Easiest Instructions". So I started putting it together yesterday. After fiddling with it for an hour I noticed that I put the wrong shelf on the bottom so I have to take everything I did apart which luckily for me was only half of the structure. A half hour later I had that half back up with the correct pieces in place.

Fast forward to 7 am...well maybe 7:10....I plan on finishing this monstrosity hopefully before 8. I got one of the other panels up and in place. It should be gravy after that right? Wrong! The other side didn't want to fit. See there were these slats cut into the metal shelves that were supposed to fit not one but two parts of the other shelves. They were supposed to fit inside tightly. They didn't even fit. So I gave up for a couple minutes after cutting myself...it really didn't hurt; I just reopened an old wound from yesterday (who'd of thought you could hurt yourself putting mail away. Leave it to me to find out). I sat back, relaxed, collected myself and in a little while I went back to it. The panel must have been cut too small or something so I had to bend it so that I could at least put a screw in the back to attempt to put the other part into the slot. Well it just didn't so I left it the way it was. The rest of the parts weren't too bad. Other pieces gave me a bit of trouble but I got through it. So now the newsletter organizer is sitting in the middle of my cubicle waiting for me to fill it with newsletters of old. I'd start now but I know Pam is going to say that she wanted it a different way. I need to find a place for the bookshelf that is currently in it's place. There is a new professor coming in today...maybe he'd like it. I'd have to haul it down there but at least it'll give me something to do.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lily said...

I know what you mean!!! It takes me forver to build anything too. I tired to build my nightstands by myself too.....I didn't do so well. I hate building stuff it always either doesn't fit or doesn't have enough parts or has too many parts. I just gave up and now I leave that to Wes and Mander....lol

2:46 PM  
Blogger athen said...

LOL!!!

Ya cant be good at everything, right??

This was a funny post, nonetheless

9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home