Monday, September 11, 2006

9/11: 5 Years Later

Unless you've been living under a rock for the past 5 years, most people here in the U.S. know what today is. It doesn't even feel like it's been 5 years...A lot has happened in that amount of time. I don't know about anyone else but the attacks are as fresh in my mind as they were 5 years ago. I know, we are being saturated with retrospectives and the usual memorials that take place this day ever since. I didn't know anyone that died in the attacks but I still feel for those that lost their lives in a senseless act of aggression. Just looking back at the video and the photos makes me feel like I'm seeing it for the first time. I should be over it by now...I mean most people that were directly affected by it are, but I'm not. It still bothers me beyond belief that so many people died or forever had their lives changed by such a horrific event. I think that most people know where they were and what they were doing when the attacks took place. If you were old enough to comprehend what was going on (I use the term comprehend loosely because there really is no understanding what happened) you remember everything about that day.

So much has changed since then. I think about how things were prior to 9/11 and see such stark differences. We as a people seemed so carefree in contrast to how we are now. I mean we have color coded alerts to warn us about supposed threats.

We should also remember today not only the people that died today in the terrorist attacks, but ALL people who have died in a terrorist attack. There have been countless attacks in Israel, Palestine, Afghanistan, and Iraq just to name some of the Middle Eastern countries. But remember there were also attacks in Spain and England. We should remember those people too.

I don't think we are any closer to ending terrorism than we were this time 5 years ago. I hate to say it but that's what I think. Sure there have been advances as far as eliminating threats and the such but really are we that much safer? Terrorism isn't a new concept. It's been happening for thousands and thousands of years. It involves so many things that just about anything could be construed as an act of terror. But I'm not going to argue that now. I wanted to reflect on and remember those people that lost their lives and can only hope that one day we, meaning ALL people, will never have to deal with something like that again.

**Frankie hasn't made it home yet. His flight got delayed so he won't be home until sometime this afternoon. He called me on Saturday to let me know he was still in Kuwait and wasn't leaving until sometime that evening. I can tell just by how he talked that he's changed. I don't quite know if it's a positive change or not...I guess I'll have a better assessment when I actually get to talk to him and hang out. No matter what though he'll always be my friend...I'm saying this more for my benefit...to remind me of things, you know?5 years ago I was petrified that something was going to happen to him in Korea...now he's in Iraq and the threat seems infinitely more dangerous. It's a scary thought.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lily said...

I agree with you, I don't think that anyone is any closer to ending terrorism, like you said it has been around for thousands of years and no matter who trys to do what about it there is going to be some kind of threat some where in the world, that's a scary thought but its true. Unfortunatly I don't think that there is ever going to be a way to get rid of the threat for good. :(

9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home