Friday, June 02, 2006

Accomplished for the Week

I got 2 things accomplished for the week. One was that I read a book and the other was I saw a movie. I know they might not exactly be considered accomplishments but I set out to do both and I did.

"Memoirs of a Geisha" was excellent. I haven't seen the movie but the book was absolutely fantastic. I started reading it on Tuesday and found that I couldn't put it down. It just draws you in and moves so fast. It was just really good. I would recommend it to anyone who reads. There is so much detail about what a geisha goes through just in her daily life and how some women become a geisha. The narrator of the story is also the main character, Chiyo/Sayuri. I remember reading about geisha when I was younger but I didn't really know much about it. I knew they wore makeup and kimono and that they were skilled dancers. Other than that I had no idea what they did. The story takes place during the 1930's in Japan and goes through WWII and into the 50's although not so much into the 50's. I don't want to give too much away. If you have a chance to read it please do. I'm telling you you won't realize that the book is about 500 pages. It moves so quickly you find yourself staying up til all hours of the night reading even though you have to work early the next day. I even brought it to work with me yesterday and today. I just finished it this morning. I'm kind of interested in the movie now. It got a lot of bad press but I think once again it's one of those things that I'm going to have to check out for myself. I thought it was a little weird that they had a Chinese actress, Zhang Ziyi, who is fantastic in"Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon", portray a Japanese geisha. I just thought it was odd.

And the other thing that I got accomplished this week was I went and saw X-Men 3: The Last Stand. Wow! A fantastic movie. I was a little leary of Kelsey Grammer in the role as Beast but I can't imagine anyone else. It was everything I thought it was going to be. I was so excited going to the theater and then finally getting to see it after I heard so many good things about it. I thought Angel would have had a bigger part but no big deal. I still wanted to see Gambit in it but I guess that'll never happen...or will it? And thanks to Lance for letting me know I should stay after the credits. It was worth it. My cousin didn't stay when he went and now he's all upset. There were a couple more people there that stayed along with us but for the most part everyone else left. We went yesterday because we figured it wouldn't be as crowded on a Thursday and we were right. The plan now is to see "The DaVinci Code" tomorrow.

Well now I have to set out and read another book. I made a list of the books that I want to read before I go back to school so tonight when I get home I'm going to go to the bookstore and look to see what they have out. I might just stick to the list but I always find something new there that I want to read. I wish there was a Borders closer to us so that I didn't have to go into Barnes & Noble. It seems too stuffy in there and that you shouldn't make any noise. I can't help but make noise when I go in there because at some point I wind up in the self help section making fun of the various "Chicken Soup for the _______ Soul". Yeah I know that's really mature but come on! How many of those books really need to be written and who buys them? I could see a couple of them but "Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul"? Really.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lance said...

Glad to hear you liked the X-Men, I did too. I thought it was the best of the three so far.

2:47 PM  
Blogger Lily said...

I'm out of the loop..I never saw it yet...I agree with Chicken Soup for the ______Soul books...some of them are just way out to lunch, but someone must buy them right?
Any ways your free oven mitt is at my blog waiting for you....
Hope to talk to you soon

3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home