Tuesday, November 15, 2005

What A Drag!

Today feels like the day that wouldn't end. It's creeping by at a snails pace. I hope the rest of the week doesn't go like this. Ali and Paul are coming up for the weekend. Might go see Harry Potter at the IMax. That should be pretty cool. I know the movie'll be good, its just getting around to see it.

Thanksgiving is next week...where did November go? You never realize how short a month or year is until the end. Time seems to have flown by. Is it because I'm getting older? Perhaps. I mean it would be nice to think that it's all a conspiracy to make the holidays arrive faster but thats unlikely. Nice thought though. It could be a novel; the government resets clocks with some kind of mind controlling device perhaps a clock itself so that people will spend more money during the holidays. That could be interesting. I wouldn't write about it though.

I always wanted to write a novel but my problem is that I feel almost everything that interests me or that I know about has been written. I hate repeating things that've been done and said before. It all becomes a cliche of sorts. But sometimes an author will surprise you and come up with something completely original. I really haven't read anything lately other than Harry Potter that seems to be original. At least nothing that's come out in the past couple of years. Stephen King usually surprises me but I haven't read anything of his lately. I've been reading Jane Austen which I'm beginning to love. I like what she writes about how she writes. I think she was a bit ahead of her time. She's in the same bracket I think as Charlotte Bronte, another one of my favs. I loved "Jane Eyre"...very romantic in a crazy sort of way. I have 2 or 3 copies of that book. I don't know why but I do....my goal is to get a hardback version of it though. That would be nice. Back to Jane Austen though; I recently bought "Sense & Sensibility" and "Pride and Prejudice". They're both movies, Lord knows "Pride and Prejudice" has been done a zillion times and another version is coming out with Keira Knightley but still, just goes to show you how great the book is. I haven't read it yet but by the end of the year I will. I'm slowly working my way through "Sense & Sensibilty". The movie with Kate Winslet and Emma Thompson was great so I know I'll like the book. Its just that I've been busy with work and school that I haven't had a whole lot of time to read.

I should make a list of books that I think are great and write about them here. Maybe someone will stumble across it and discover a book that they've never read and fall in love with the written word. I'll just have to remember that I said that. Thats the trick.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lance said...

An obvious recommendation here would be Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code, but most likely you've already read that.

If not, it's a great and original read. Not 100% original, but certainly original enough to keep you turning the pages at a frantic pace until you've read them all.

4:34 PM  
Blogger Lance said...

Oh yea, I forgot to add that Kate Winslet is the awesomest. Well, if not the awesomest then certainly awesomer than most =)

6:59 PM  
Blogger Kyleen said...

Yeah I loved that book. I couldn't put it down. I want to read his other book "Angels and Demons" maybe I'll get it and read it while school is out.

5:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home