Wednesday, October 05, 2005

"The Stand"

I just came across this article talking about how these researched recreated the flu-strain that caused the 1918 epidemic. Thats a little scary to me. Actually its a lot scary. I'm all for finding cures to things as well as understanding why things happen but to recreate this deadly flu is just frightening. I know they did this for a reason, I do. But I'm hoping that there is no way it can get out or anything like that.

The only thing that keeps flashing through my mind is "The Stand" by Stephen King. Its a fantastic book and its really worth reading. It brings up a lot of valid points when it comes to a supervirus. All these people dying of some mysterious "Superflu" and then the government going crazy because they have no way to control the mass hysteria that ensues.

Biological warfare/terrorism is one of the most frightening things we have to deal with today. In a lot of ways I think its more frightening than nuclear war. Nuclear war would be terrible and it would devastate the planet but there is something about the suffering that is more scary than annihilation. I would rather have a quick death than one where I suffer. I think most people would agree with me. And the potential to create biological weapons is there; very scary thoughts.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lance said...

Do you still have the link to the article you read? I'd really like to read it.

7:58 PM  
Blogger Kyleen said...

Sure I do...here it is http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051005/ap_on_he_me/pandemic_flu_1;_ylt=A86.I174IURDzygAHgCEBMoA;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

Very interesting article.

4:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home