Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Liberal: Teach Your Kids It's NOT A Dirty Word

As I'm sure everyone knows, there has been some debate about the people being nominated to join the Supreme Court. I didn't support Judge Roberts and now I'm unsure about this new person, Harriet Miers. I'm just confused maybe I don't know. Here's my issue....she's never been a judge. Shouldn't that be a pre-requisite? I'm not doubting that her life has been devoted to practicing law, but to become a judge without having ANY experience whatsoever just seems a little stupid to me. Shouldn't the job go to someone who's more qualified? Just a thought.

I remember 5 years ago when Bush was running for president the first time many people, like myself, were concerned that if he got in office, who he would put on the Court. Fast forward to 5 years later and we're facing out fears only its worse. Not one Justice needs to be replaced, but 2. I didn't see that coming. I didn't know that O'Connor was planning on retiring; I kinda figured Rehnquist would be heading out although I didn't think he was going to die just yet.

It really seems like things are getting worse. I didn't think that was possible but I was wrong. Things in Iraq are escalating while we hear almost nothing coming out of Afghanistan. The hurricanes I think have diverted our attention, and rightly so, from foreign affairs to things close to home. I didn't think things were going to get this bad and we are nowhere near an election year as far as presidents go.

In my state, the gubernatorial election is next year. Guess who I won't be voting for? Thats right...I won't be voting for Bob Ehrlich. I didn't vote for him the first time around either. He's a HUGE supporter of Bush and that right there told me what my decision would be. But like a lot of other states, Maryland, is becoming a different place. I don't know how to explain it. The county I live in is predominantly white Republican. But most of the people that vote live near the city and toward D.C. and they tend to vote Democrat. I think what happened with our last gubernatorial election was that because of the stigma caused by Parris Glendening, people didn't want any part of his administration in power, so Kathleen Kennedy Townshend really didn't have a chance. I think that if someone else ran for the Democrats, they probably would have won. So I'm hoping that the democratic party gets it together in time to get Ehrlich out of office. He has done a lot in the state that is less than appealing. The MAJOR subject in the state is slots. Priorities, people! The education system needs to be reformed badly. Environmental problems seem to be escalating but no one is talking about it. I don't know whats going on.

I'm just praying that someone good comes into office soon. We really need a change in leadership. I wish there was a way to weed out the good and bad so we can replace the bad with people who actually care about whats going on in the world and not how much money is in their pocket.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lance said...

Harriet Miers is Bush's personal lawyer - has been for 20-some years I believe.

Even the Republicans are throwing a fit over this one.

This is just another screw up to add to the list.

I enjoyed this post, though.

Have I ever told you before how much I enjoy that you write so often? lol You've probably noticed most blogs never update. You check 'em and check 'em and check 'em and there's never anything new there.

I like that you write a lot. Good job =)

9:22 AM  
Blogger Kyleen said...

Thanks...I like writing too. I'm glad someone writes as often as me if not more. It's cool; it kinda gives you perspective on things.

9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home