Friday, October 14, 2005

Memorial Service

Went to Maggie's grandfathers memorial service yesterday. That was a fiasco. First I woke up 5 minutes before I was supposed to be there. I thought that maybe they came by and couldn't get in the house so they left. I rushed around, got ready, and had Amanda take me up to the church. I was 20 minutes late but at least I got there. I sat in the back so as not to make a disturbance. I didn't see Maggie or Longo there but I figured they were in the front and I just couldn't see them. All of her family was there of course. I felt so bad for them. You ever get that feeling that you're intruding on a family's grief? Thats how I felt but they asked me to come so I did. Anyway, I was listening to the preacher when the door opened. I didn't look until someone hit me on the shoulder. It was Maggie and Longo. Their alarm didn't go off and they were nearly 45 minutes late. I felt so bad for her. She was so upset. There wasn't anything I could do to make her feel better.

She got there just when people were going up to say some little things. Her dad got up and made a really nice speech. So did Devon. I really really felt bad for her. He's was basically her father. She's been living with them since she was a baby. Then Keith got up there and said a couple things. Then the funniest thing happened. I know that sounds really bad but you would have to meet the family to understand. Keith was saying his farewell and he said that he would see his dad soon. Then he realized what he said and was like well you know what I mean. I know he was nervous and all but it was still funny. I didn't laugh out loud or anything but her family did. I felt bad for him but anyway.

I don't know about anyone else but it isn't a funeral unless people start laughing in the middle of the service. I know that sounds really really bad but every funeral/memorial service I've been to people always laugh. I don't know if its because they don't know what to do or just because they're all cried out that all they can do it laugh. But that usually how it turns out with us. There was a friend of Devon's that was there and he was wearing perhaps the ugliest tie I have ever seen. It was orange and blue with funny stripes on it. Very loud. Keith called him over and said "Whats your name?" Mind you he knew full-well what his name was but when he answered Keith yelled "What?! I can't hear you over your tie!" I couldn't help but laugh. It was just so funny.

Anyway that was my day yesterday. Nothing else really happened. Just went over to Maggie's dad's house. He's still taking it pretty hard but he too is making jokes. He was remembering when his dad ran outside and caught a snow goose. I don't remember where he said they were living at the time, he was in the military, but he ran out, caught it, threw it in the closet and waited til it calmed down. Once it calmed down, he took it out and put it on a leash and that was his pet. I know that too sounds bad and cruel but the mental image is priceless.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lance said...

That sounds like an interesting funeral service =)

7:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home