Wednesday, August 03, 2005

"You'll Shoot Your Eye Out"

It's really not a funny story but here goes....Maggie calls me at 5:30 a.m. upset. I figure someone died or something but she tells me that her sister, Amy, called last night because their dad had to be rushed to the hospital. Why? Because he was vacuuming out a car and instead of going over to unplug the vacuum, he just yanked on the cord and it came back and hit him in the eye. She said that he was bleeding really bad and that they didn't know what was going to happen with the eye. They took him from Upper Chesapeake (I wouldn't take and animal there) to John Hopkins. He goes in for surgery later this afternoon. Hopefully everything goes alright. They said that there is a 70% chance that he'll lose his vision in that eye and a 30% chance that he'll los the eye altogether. He's a carpenter so I don't know if he'll be able to keep his job after this.

Just to show how funny this man is: He's alrady making jokes about being like Sammy Davis Jr., talking like him and all that stuff. He has a really good sense of humor about this. (Hence the title of this post) I think if I was facing something like losing my sight, even if its in one eye, that I wouldn't be cracking jokes. He's great and I hope he doesn't lose his sight. That wouldn't be good for him. It took him so long to get out of the rut he was in during his seperation and divorce I would hate to see him so depressed again. Although this is a mighty fine reason to be depressed. Knowing him he'll probably just continue cracking jokes, maybe even wear an eye patch which he will probably have to for a while. The kids'll love that.

Her sister Amy though should be smacked. I swear I have never met anyone so bossy in all my life. She was barking orders left and right like "Don't tell Grandma" and "Don't go to the hospital". She wanted them to go in shifts. Maggie left work early and can only get there right now. Later is not an option. I wish someone would have the nerve to tell her whats up. I would contemplate being that person but I'm not part of that family. I can't do it when it comes to my family. I like to play peacemaker. Anyway I'm hoping all the best for him and I hope he's back on his feet soon. Maggie's going to give me updates when she knows something.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lance said...

I'm always impressed with people who can remain positive, even laugh, during the midst of serious trials like that.

It's always really inspiring to see and hear about.

Thanks for sharing that story and I really do hope everything turns out better than expected for him.

2:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home