Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Something Different

Ok, since there really isn't anything new today I think I'm going to comment on something. It has to do with the war in Iraq so if you're sick and tired of hearing people gripe, moan, or ahout about this subject, move on.

I've been reading alot about the mother of a fallen soldier and her attempts to speak to the president. All she wants is for him to sit one on one with her and explain what is going on. Can you honestly blame her? I mean if it was my child that was killed "serving his/her country" I would want an explanation. Now I know what your probably thinking: Well when he died she seemed satisfied with the president. Why did it take her a year to get to where she is and what made her change her mind? There are probably a million reasons why? One is that maybe she is sick of seeing and hearing about people dying in a war that was supposed to be done with. After all, the president declared the mission accomplished. Another reason could be that she doens't want to see anymore families put through the hell that she's been put through. No one would wish that on their worst enemy. ( well I hope people are decent enough not too) Or maybe she has put a lot of thought into the situation and realized that her son did die for no reason. That probably angered her more than anything. I know if it was my child that was murdered I would be beyond consolation. I don't know what her true reasons are but I do know that the people that're attacking her are wrong. Most of them don't know what its like to lose a child for no reason. There might be the exception out there but more than likely that isn't the case.

People need to be a little more sensitive about who they are criticizing. This woman's child gave the ultimate sacrifice: his life. There is no way he can come back. There isn't enough money in the world that could make her feel better about her son's death. The only thing that she feels can help is to talk to the president and try to understand why we are still there and what he's going to do about it. It's the least he could do for the mother of such a giving person. He would have to be giving, I mean after all he's not here because of it.

I know there are a lot of families out there that have felt the pain that this woman is feeling and perhaps they disagree with her. I don't know any of them. But I do know that nothing can heal her pain or theirs for that matter. Maybe they should question why their loved one died for something that shouldn't have started. I know its a touchy subject but the more I think about it, the more angry and upset I get and I don't know anyone that's died so I can only imagine how they feel. I hope I never feel what they are feeling and yeah I know that sounds selfish but would you want that? I doubt it.

Ok, I'm stepping off my soapbox now. I don't know if there was really any rhyme or reason behind what I just wrote but its what I'm feeling right now. It makes me nauseous to hear people attack her personally because of what she's feeling. Of all the people to be angry with, she's one of the, unfortunately, many that shouldn't feel that anger. Maybe they should try and put themselves in her shoes and attempt to understand whats going through her head.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lance said...

I agree, Kyleen. I talked about this on my podcast last weekend.

When you add to it the fact that Mrs. Sheehan came from her home in California to the Bush's ranch in Texas while he's on vacation and he still won't even stop his car to speak to her beside the road - well, it just goes to prove how much Bush really appreciates the sacrifices others are making for his War.

Which is none at all.

9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home