Thursday, August 04, 2005

Change of Plans

My dad is now having his surgery on the 26th. The doctor said that an artery in his neck is completely blocked so they have to go in and unclog it before tehy can do the bypass surgery. So he'll have that one on the 26th and then have the bypass surgery either the 28th or 29th. I'm just praying that he'll be alright. If it was super serious, they probably would have scheduled the surgery sooner. But still I'm a little on edge about it. I know he's gettingup there in age (he'll be 69 in October) but you are never really prepared to deal with a parents illness. My mom and stepdad have also had problems this year so its starting to take a bit of a toll. My mom had an endoscopy today and they said that she has something called Barrett's disease. I just know that it has something to do with the esophagus. If its not treated, it could turn into cancer. Lucky for her they caught it early. But they did find some signs that she might have cancer of the throat. It doesn't surprise me because she's been smoking for 35 years. She "quit" earlier this year when she had surgery but she has been starting back up since she got out of the hospital in April. She was doing really well but I can't be with her 24/7 and I knew she would buy a pack to "help her through the day". For a month or so now she's been smoking fairly regularly and there isn't anything anyone can do about it. I'm at a loss. I don't know what to tell her. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens when all this is sorted out. Ok! Enough with the medical crap. Time for some good news.

On the bright side, Maggie's dad had the surgery yesterday and he did well. They said that it is highly unlikely that he'll lose the eye and that he probably won't lost all the vision in that eye. It won't be the same but at least he'll be able to see. They said that he might be able to come home today. So all is good for now with him. He has to take it easy for a while but other than that he should be back to work in a couple of weeks. Knowing him he'll go back sooner; he hates not doing anything.

On the subject of "The Aviator". I thought it was alright but I wouldn't say it was worth spending the money that I did on it. It was really interesting, the stuff about Howard Hughes, but I wasn't really familiar with him in the first place. The movie just kind of ended. There wasn't much resolution. I like a bit of resolution in the movies I watch. I hope they don't make a sequel, although I don't think there's much to be said other than he went crazy and died sometime later. I read a short biographical article on him so I know a little bit more about him than I did. I'll just have to watch some of the tried and true that I have already for entertainment. Nothing wrong with that.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lance said...

My uncle is having to have the same surgery as your dad.

He's about the same age, too.

I hope things go well for your family.

11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home