Friday, August 19, 2005

Prayin in Protest?

It's soggy out again today. I think fall is going to come early this year. Hey, I'm not compalining as long as fall isn't short it's fine with me. All's quiet here, nothing much going on. I'm learning how to do more stuff on Grant Manager which is good because if I don't get to keep this job, it'll help me out when I apply for another one, that is if it's a school that receives state and federal funding.

SPOILER WARNING
Ok, I was reading the news this morning like I do every morning, and there was a story on there about a nun who is praying in protest of the filming of the "The DaVinci Code". She's not the only one, there are others, and there are still those who feel that the author, Dan Brown, is taking on religion. Once again I am going to state the obvious, it is a work of FICTION. He isn't taking on religion really, just the holy grail. I'm a catholic although I'm not practicing and I didn't find anything in the book offensive. Maybe it's because I'm not a practicing Catholic but I know others who go to church and all that and they read the book and didn't find it offensive. Yes, there is some strong subject matter and yes, it does talk about a real organization, Opus Dei, and the author is critical of them. It is fiction though. I mean come on people. Why is it people read a book thats subject could be seen as controversial and blow it completely out of proportion? I thought the book was good. It was a good story and a different take on an old legend but I don't think for one minute that its real. I mean who knows it could be I guess but I don't know. I like the idea behind the book. It's something I never heard before although this isn't the first book to talk about this theory. There was another book, "Holy Blood, Holy Grail", written in the late 70's early 80's that expands on the theory in the book. I would think that most Christians wouldn't care if Jesus was married. I mean it doesn't change what he did. It doesn't to me. I believe he did what the Bible says he did and I don't think the subject of whether or not he was married has any bearing on those miracles.

I'm getting away from my point. Why are people so hell-bent on protesting this book? There are so many other REAL things that we should be protesting but no, people are worried about the filming of movie based on a best selling book. It's like what happens with those people that object to Harry Potter. I mean its all fantasy. It's not real. It's just a story.

Censorship will get you nowhere. I remember years ago when they wanted to ban "Huckleberry Finn" along with other books because of words in the book. A lady somewhere actually took the time to count how many times a certain work in "Huckleberry Finn" was used. Did she actually read the book? No! She just counted how many time that word was used. If she would have read the book, then maybe she would have changed her opinion. I will never understand people when it comes to this subject. People need to be more educated about subjects they are taking on before they launch a full blown attack on it. Most people that have read books like "Huckleberry Finn" or "Slaughterhouse 5" understand the perspective that the book is speaking from. Why ban things that we learn from? I would much rather my child read whatever book and come to me with questions about it than go to someone else or base his/her opinion on what other people thought of it.

Free thinking individuals are happy individuals.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lance said...

This is an ongoing problem with freedom of speech in America.

The ignorant have the right, too.

And I don't mean that in a name calling way.

You honestly have sincere, well-meaning people who are just flat out ignorant of the facts of a subject who still have every much as right as the next person to speak out about it.

Blogdom has raised my awareness of this more so than ever in the past couple of years.

Every bozo with a net connection is a self-professed expert on matters they know little or nothing about.

I've seen people post mile long rants on something a simple Google search would have proven their "reasoning" completely in error on. Yet they never paused long enough to look up and consider the facts on the matter.

There's nothing really we can do about it, though.

We just gotta take the good with the bad, I guess.

4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home