Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Holocaust Siblings Together

I wasn't going to post today since I have a lot to do but I read this story and I had to. I was going through the news like I usually do and I came upon a story about 2 siblings who just found each other after the holocaust separated them 65 years ago. I'll post the link to the story but here it is in a nutshell. Two young men in Israel started searching the internet for information about their grandmother who survived the holocaust. The woman thought that only she and one of her sisters made it through. While searching they came upon her story written by her brother. That brother had since died but there was another brother and they were reunited recently after believing that they were dead. Could you imagine?! What a wonderful story. Here is the link though if anyone wants to read it. I had the opportunity to meet a holocaust survivor years ago. I don't know if she is still alive but I remember her visit like it was yesterday. I was in 8th grade and her name was Deli Strummer and she was just a teenager when she was sent to the concentration camps. Unfortunately it came to light years later that she had embelished her story. Nonetheless she did survive at least 2 concentration camps...even if she did say that she survived 5 of them. That doesn't take away the fact that she was there. What she saw was real and the horror she must have felt at knowing that this day could be her last. I just thought that this story was something to be happy about. 2 people found each other after something so horrific happened to their family. I wish there were more and more stories like this out there.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lily said...

I seen that on the news. It was refreshing to hear something happy like that rather than the usual war stuff that we see everyother night. And don't worry about critizing my poems, you wouldn't be the first person to say that if I changed a few things they would be better. I just take it all lightly becuase I know what they mean to me and the critizism doesn't change that. :)

11:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home