Wednesday, March 08, 2006

"Right Now"

So I've been listening to a lot of music here lately both old and new. I just set the iPod to shuffle and I forgot that I had "Right Now" by Van Halen (Hagar). I really like this song but I couldn't help but think of a soft drink. Remember back when that song came out they licensed it to Pepsi and Pepsi used it to push Crystal Pepsi. I think that Crystal Pepsi was probably one of the most terrible things I have tasted in my life. It tasted like sugar syup that had a little fizz to it. I just keep getting flashes of either the commercial or the video in my head. How horrible was Crystal Pepsi! It was just bad...but this brings me to my question. Why license a song to a company especially when they use it to push a crappy product? True that sometimes they don't know how the product is going to test and sometimes it does work and gets the musician/s recognition therefore upping sales for both the company that used the song and the person that wrote/performed the song. I'm just saying that if you're going to license one of your songs to a company, make sure the product is good. Another thing is that the content of the song kinda has nothing to do with the product. The song is about living in the moment not trying a clear caffiene-free soda. The song is good...no doubt about that but now since it was attached to a truly terrible product, people around my age or people who are old enough to remember Crystal Pepsi will forever equate "Right Now" with Crystal Pepsi. It was just a bad choice. Anyway I just thought I would put my 2 cents in on that. I can't help it...I love the song but I just can't get the taste of Crystal Pepsi out of my mouth. What do you think they did with all the Crystal Pepsi they didn't sell? Do they have it in some sort of stock room? Did they give it to some poor unsuspecting people? I bet you get some real cash for that on eBay.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lance said...

lol Nice post. I always enjoy these "thinking out loud" posts you type.

You dared to rip on Van Halen, though.

Well, kinda.

Since it was Van Hagar, I'll forgive you this time 8 )

1:55 PM  
Blogger Kyleen said...

I wasn't ripping on Van Halen. I like Van Halen. :) Another one who prefers DLR to Sammy. I like Sammy's voice better however DLR gave the band their edge. Van Hagar rules ;)

7:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home