Friday, February 24, 2006

Happy Birthday, George!

Today is the birthday of my favorite Beatle, George Harrison. Everyone has a favorite Beatle...my mom's is Ringo (I always thought that was a little strange but to each their own) When it comes to the Beatles most people like either Paul McCartney or John Lennon but there was something about George that was different. The songs he wrote, among them "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" and "Here Comes the Sun", were my favorite. I think his songs had a kind of sadness about them but they always seemed to lift my spirits in a way. "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" is one of the most beautiful songs ever written. (Thats my opinion of course) Another one of his songs that is truly great is "Something". What a great song! It never gets old to me. Even though he's gone his music will always be important to people. Maybe it's because I'm biased. The Beatles will always be a standard in music. They've been that for over 40 years and I don't see that ending anytime soon. They're still cited as a major inspiration to musicians and many of their songs are timeless. While I'm not a musician by any means, I have to credit the Beatles with introducing me to the sitar. So Happy Birthday, George! May you rest in Peace :)

3 Comments:

Blogger Lance said...

I'm glad to see you mentioned this.

George, "the quiet Beatle" will be forever missed.

Like you said, though, he left us with a wealth of music.

9:12 AM  
Blogger Kyleen said...

Indeed he did. iTunes needs to put some Beatles albums up on there. I wonder if they take suggestions?

7:29 AM  
Blogger Lance said...

Actually, there's a lot to that.

Apple Corp. has been shopping the Beatles catalogue of music around to several online services - Wal*Mart Connect, Rhapsody to name a few - but they have another on-going law suit against Apple Computer for infringing on the "Apple" name in music.

Apparently Apple Computer signed some sort of agreement to use the name "Apple" only in computer sales and the iTunes Music Store breaks the agreement.

It's been ongoing for years now.

The one rumor that keeps coming up is that Apple Computer will settle with The Beatles and as part of the deal they'll get exclusive rights to the catalogue.

Needless to say, whoever gets the rights to sell it online will be getting the largest single money making catalogue in existence.

It'd sure be interesting if someone besides Apple Computer got the rights to it because no one has been able to compete with iTunes at all.

Having The Beatles music would sure be a lot of leverage for another online music store.

3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home