Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Joey Cheek

Yeah I know its the second post in one day but I thought this was worth mentioning. Joey Cheek, gold medalist speed skater, has decided to donate the $25,000 he will receive for winning to charity. These are the kind of people that make you all warm and fuzzy on the inside. He's probably sacrificed a lot to get where he is, I don't know that much about him, and the fact that he has others on his mind makes me really appreciate people like him. I wish more people would donate to charity. The charity that he's donating to is helping those people who are suffering in Darfur. I wrote a while back about the situation happening in the region and unfortunately nothing appears to be being done to help. Little by little I've been hearing more people talk about the crisis in Darfur and I'm hoping that since this is such a happy event that people will take it upon themselves to find out what's going on over there. Why they need so much help and why no one is doing anything about it. Maybe by his donation he is doing 2 things: contributing some much needed cash and bringing Darfur back into the news. Things haven't gotten any better and I don't think they will anytime soon unless something is done. I don't know what could be done because I do not advocate war but something needs to happen so that these people don't suffer anymore than they already have.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home