Friday, February 17, 2006

Offensive Cartoons

I'm sure most people are sick of hearing about the cartoon issue that's been taking place the past couple of weeks. It's crazy. Well in the news I just read a Cleric has places a million dollar bounty on the head of the cartoonist responsible for the inflamatory cartoons. I have an issue with this. I have an issue with any order to kill someone. It's putting a hit out on someones life. It's so wrong. It doesn't make sense to me at all. Killing is wrong. Isn't killing a sin in Islam? As far as I know it is so why is this person doing this? It doesn't make any sense at all to me. The cartoons in my opinion were wrong and I feel that the publishers should have thought about the potential repercussions of publishing the cartoons. Was it worth it? I don't think so. I mean free speech is a wonderful thing but there are ALWAYS consequences in speaking your mind. I know its part of their religion not to have sort of depiction of Muhammad and I can understand why they are so angry because it perpetuates stereotypes but is it worth killing for? Some people are ignorant. That is a fact. People are always going to do something that will get one group of people upset. We live in a very diverse world and no two people are alike (well there are some similarities but you dig what I'm screaming).

All I'm trying to say is that people need to learn to be a little more diplomatic in how they deal with things. Yeah I know it's naive but what can you do?

1 Comments:

Blogger Lance said...

It was a buzz word back around the turn of the century.

Remember Y2K and all that?

Yea. Then. There was a lot of talk about how we, in the world, now live in a "global community."

Naturally, being the one-decade-removed flower power star child that I am, I liked that term =)

"Global community."

It's all one big world now and when you say or write something - or, as in this case, draw something - it's out there for the whole world to see.

As you said, that should let people know to take in the feelings, hearts and minds of people all over the world. Not just the little circle you live in.

Maybe all the red, white and blue fellas might high 5 each other over what you say, but what about the rest of the world?

That's not to say that if it isn't popular or if the world doesn't agree with it you shouldn't say it.

By all means, everyone should stand up for what they believe in.

However, that doesn't mean tact, courtesy and respect should just be cast aside so someone can make their point or draw attention to their point.

At the very least, you should think before you speak.

Or, in this case, before you draw.

A great piece of advice I got once was, "If you say something stupid, you can hope people forget it. But once you write it down, it's there for people to remember for a long, long time."

12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home