Thursday, September 01, 2005

Helpful

I just read a truly great story. There are people throughout the country that are willing to house those who fell victim to Hurricane Katrina. I thought that was one of the best things I have ever read. These people don't have to offer food and shelter but they are, to total strangers. Unfortunately, many of the people that need it don't know its available because the listings are posted online and of course many of them don't have internet access. Hopefully, maybe the Red Cross or other volunteers can somehow get a listing and start placing people. The homes that are available are across the country so many will have to go far but you know its a place to live until they can get back on their feet. I love reading stuff like this. No only if people would open their homes up like this to the thousands of homeless that were in the streets before the hurricane. That would be great. If I had a house of my own, I would take in as many people as I could. I know people think its dangerous but more often than not, these people either lost their jobs or some other unfortunate event happened which made them homeless.

I hate to see children on the street. If I could I would adopt all the kids that need help. I think its a shame to see so many kids in foster care or in group homes. They don't get the attention they need and or that feeling of family. I think if I had a ton of money I would buy a huge house and have as many kids as I could live there, no matter what age. Not just the babies. Thats something that always bugged me a little. There are kids out there that are 8, 9, 10 and up that need homes but they don't find them because the people that are adopting want babies. I understand that people want babies, I do too, but there are more kids over the age of 5 that need homes than there are under that age. It just doesn't seem fair to me. It like just because they are older, they don't get a nice home with good parents and people that will love them no matter what. Where I used to go to church, a lot of the kids that went were either adopted or in foster care. I always thought that was cool, you know taking kids in that otherwise wouldn't have a chance of being placed permanently. I don't go to that church anymore, nor do I agree with what they taught but I always admired that they took in kids.

Maybe one day I'll be fortunte enough to be able to help. I know there are kids around the world that need help and maybe more people will take an active role in helping relieve this problem. Did you know its easier and cheaper to adopt from a foreign country than it is here? Sometimes it takes years to adopt a child whereas once you are approved in say China or Russia, where there are a lot of orphans, you can have a child in less than a year. A lot of people adopt from China because there are so many orphaned children, mainly girls, because of China's regulation on how many children a family can have.

It just breaks my heart. I know this post started out positive and kinda went downhill from there but thats me. I jump from one thought to another most of the time. Thats how I talk to. I don't know why I do that....it's just one of my many flaws.

Dad is still on the ventilator. They gave him antibiotics last night because he had a fever and they think that he might be developing an infection. I'm going up this evening to see him. I haven't heard from Jimmy yet, hopefully he'll call soon. He's the one who has all the info. I'll just keep on keeping on and thinking positive.


Oh before I forget.....It SEPTEMBER!!!! I love the Fall. :)

1 Comments:

Blogger Lance said...

That is great, opening your home to people who really need it.

It makes you remember that kindness and humanity still exists in quite a few people and that in return makes you feel hopeful for the future.

Thanks for sharing that story, Kyleen.

& yay for Fall! =)

3:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home