Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Over

Well dad came out of surgery doing really well. When I called last night, they said that he was still on the ventilator which is normal because of the surgery that he had. They said that some people come off it sooner than others and that he'll probably have it out today. I'm just glad he did well and everything is right on. I can't thank Jim and Doug enough for all that they did. I mean they didn't have to call me yesterday to let me know what was going on but they did which I am extremely thankful for. I'll call a little later to check up on him to make sure everything is still going well. I want to give the nurses a chance to get their stuff together because right now is around shift change. I'll probably head up there after work if he says its ok. I don't want to upset him.

What else is there.......not much really. I talked to Frankie yesterday. He's supposed to go to my cousins Labor Day thing this weekend with me and Jenn and maybe if I can get a hold of him, Kenny. We'll see if he shows though. Last time he didn't and we were worried and then angry once we knew he was ok.

I'm going to the Renaissance Festival on Monday. That'll be fun. I haven't been there in a couple of years but everytime I go I always have a good time. I hope the "Theater in the Ground" is there. It's basically a giant mudpit where these actors, who are supposed to be pick pockets and other riff-raff put on famous plays, only they shorten them and add their own spin to it. Its really a lot of fun to watch. They also have Shakespeare in 10 minutes which is like theater in the ground only no mud. Jason and Gage are going along with us. They went to Medieval Times for Gage's birthday and they had a great time. I've never been but it always looked like fun. They just opened up here about a year or so ago.

I think the next couple of days are going to be nasty and rainy because of Hurricane Katrina. I'm just glad I don't live anywhere near the Gulf Coast. I feel so bad for those people. I saw video of the Hyatt hotel in New Orleans and all the windows were blown out. It reminded me a lot of what the front of the Murrah building looked like when Timothy McVeigh blew it up. It was eerie. And the water is so high. Parking lots are flooded, basically everything is flooded. We occasionally get threatened by a hurricane here but usually by the time they get here they are tropical storms which can still cause a lot of damage. 2 years ago a hurricane came through and completely flooded Fells Point. People had to be rescued by boat. I'd never seen anything like that in this area. I've seen it in the south and all but not somewhere I was familiar with. Anyway the people affected by this disaster are in my prayers.

Just got off the phone with the nurse. She said that they're having trouble weaning him off the ventilator because of oxygenation, basically the blood isn't getting enough oxygen. They said it was from all those years he smoked. But you know I think he'll be off it soon. He quit smoking over 5 years ago after nearly 50 years. I was so proud of him when he did that. Both of my parents are/were smokers. I was a smoker for 4 years before I quit. I'm glad I did. I hope that my mother will quit again too. She quit for a couple of months but is right back to smoking again. I wish there was a way for people to quit smoking that was 100% effective. It's not only nasty but harmful to yourself and others. Yeah I know everyone knows the dangers of smoking but it seems more and more people are starting. It's a shame.

Well, thats all for now. Gotta get some stuff done.


2 Comments:

Blogger Lance said...

Good news about your Dad, sounds like he's doing really well.

That Festival thing sounds like a lot of fun, too.

Is that the same one you mentioned before? About dressing up and stuff? Are you going to wear a costume?

Quitting smoking is really hard. Almost impossible. I wish we could get the absolute truth out of the tobacco companies and see just what they really put in cigarettes that makes them so addictive.

I mean I know, and you probably do as well, people who'd rather die then quit. Sick people even. I've heard them say it, "if it kills me, I guess I'll just die, because I can't quit."

If it's so bad you can't even stop when your life is on the line, that's really bad.

We're getting a lot of rain too from the hurricane, but like you said, nothing like what those poor folks in New Orleans got. Yikes.

10:50 AM  
Blogger Kyleen said...

Lol...yeah there are people there that dress up but you don't have to for this one. Thats optional. My sister works there so she has to.

Quitting smoking is really hard and yeah I would like to know what they put in them that make them so addictive. My aunt is one of those people that will probably smoke til the day she dies. It's a shame and I wish there was something more we could do about it.

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home