Monday, June 23, 2008

George Carlin 1937-2008

Yesterday one of the funniest people on the planet died. I didn't know much about George Carlin growing up except that he was Rufus in "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure". It wasn't until I was older that I was more exposed to his humor. His "Seven Dirty Words" routine challenged free speech. I can remember watching him when I used to babysit on "Shining Time Station" where he played the conductor. It kind of showed a softer side to the dirty mouth that most people were accustomed to. He was also an author...one of his books "Napalm and Silly Putty" is one the funniest books I ever read. It's the kind of book that you would have sitting out on a coffee table (at least in my house you would) and you could just pick it up and open it to a random page and find something funny. The absolute BEST movie he was ever in (once again in my opinion) was "Dogma". The Catholic Church hated that movie and at the risk of sounding like a complete idiot I think it was a very thought provoking movie as well as completely hilarious. The reason I'm writing is because he'll be deeply missed by people he had never might and in all actuality would probably hate. RIP.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lily said...

Dogma was, I think the greatest movie he was in. I have never read any of his books though.

9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home